Sunday, 8 May 2016

A521.7.4.RB - Secret Structure

A521.7.4.RB_Matthew-Napu Manglona_Secret Structure



I have to say that Nancy Duarte’s presentation “The Secret Structure of Great Talks” was a very interesting tool that I know I can use for my future presentations. She discusses on how to incorporate stories into presentations. Harbin & Humphrey (2010) “If you don't have a story to tell, one that evokes mental pictures, people on the receiving end tend to forget the message.” (p.102) she discusses Aristotle’s beginning, middle, and end model where presentations at times don’t even possess the qualities discussed when it comes to a story. Case in point, possesses no painted picture for her audience. Her main focus was on our ideas as presenters to ensure that our audience grasps the idea that we are trying to present. (Duarte, 2012)

The structure and techniques that she had shared when she evaluated Martin Luther King and Steve Jobs’s speech with the “What is” and “What could be” model (Duarte, 2012) is something that I would take with me and try to utilize when giving a presentation to others. The question I have for myself is; is it only applicable to presentations to a big group? Or can it even be used at a smaller scale? Stories help us to understand differing perspectives and to vision alternate futures. (Anonymous, 2008) When Ms. Duarte described Steve Jobs’s Iphone launch speech she described in detail every moment from the times the audience laughed, clapped, a guest speaker came in, and there was even a point where Steve Jobs’s clicker had a malfunction but he was able to recover from it and continue with his story. She discussed the medium (the “what is”) and the peaks of each presentation (the “what could be”) in both speeches. Each “peak” of the presentation was where the audience was able to visualize in their heads the painted picture of what the presenter wanted to get across. Steve Jobs and Dr. King’s “What could be” is the reason why they were able to persuade, convince, and have embraced their ideas to their audience in attendance.

I would like to try her technique (if given the opportunity) in my organization. It will be quite difficult because of my rank, however, if I can find something to present or a story to tell I definitely will use this tool. If there was an idea I would share it would have to be the direction of creating Officer and Non Commission Officer schools to be located on Guam. It presents the perfect opportunity to explain myself on where the organization can go in the upcoming years. The “What is” we are still the youngest organization in the 54 States and Territories and still ambitious to expand our organization as a whole. The “What could be” is if we were to host our own schools for further development of our soldiers we can save money, establish our own training “in house”, and have other units in the Pacific pump funding into our organization so we can use for future logistics, resources, etc. This has always been an idea of mine but never really given an opportunity to speak. If given, I definitely will use Ms. Duarte’s tools of structure and outlines in my presentations. That concept of having an “Idea” and using it to inspire change is a dream for me, and would capitalize on it when I afforded an opportunity.



References:
Duarte, N.  (2012, Feb). Nancy Duarte: ““The Secret Structure of Great Talks”.” (Video File)

Harbin, J., & Humphrey, P. (2010). TEACHING MANAGEMENT BY TELLING STORIES. Academy of
Educational Leadership Journal, 14(1), 99-106. Retrieved from

Once upon a time.. (2008). Strategic Direction, 24(10), 16-18. doi:http://dx.doi.org.ezproxy.libproxy.db.erau.edu/10.1108/02580540810907065

No comments:

Post a Comment