A521.4.3.RB_Matthew-Napu Manglona_ Subtleties of Communication and Hidden Messages
When it comes to in-congruent messages in my National
Guard organization I can think of over hundred instances where it actually left
me puzzled, angry, and speechless at times. Then there are times where I
actually felt like I was able to provide some good to the situation or
dilemmas. At an individual scale of
things I know I can definitely use these skills to help me communicate better
with others. When it comes to the Eight Hidden Agendas Mckay, Davis &
Fanning (2009) hit on point with how I see myself. I see myself as a humble
person and see the “You’re Good (But I’m Not)” concept when it comes to myself.
Through the times of being in a leadership position I have been told that I am
the future of the organization, however I never believed in myself to be that
person they put up on that pedestal.
I
never thought my communication skills were good but to others they were.
Mayfield & Mayfield (2007) wrote, “Research shows that leadership
models that incorporate language as a principle attribute, leader–member
exchange (LMX) in particular, often fulfill these roles to improve desirable
employee consequences including job satisfaction, turnover intentions, and
performance.” (p. 86) LMX from my previous classes from what I took away is
something that can be used to enhance communication between subordinate to
superior, superior to subordinate, or peer to peer for example.
I can recall
situations of body language notifying me on just how my presentation was going.
Kaps, R. W., & Voges, J. K. (2007) states that “The instructor who fails to
observe the unspoken delivery of information and interpret recipient's attitude
is conveying only a small portion of the intended message. Gestures and other kinesics
signals synchronized to reinforce a verbal message clarify its meaning and create
a sense of the speaker's presence and purpose.” (p. 2) when I saw arms crossed,
bubble gum popping, eyes drooping, and saw heads looking down at smart phones I
knew that my message wasn’t getting across and had to revert to getting their
attention back. There would be times where I would ask the audience to pause
everything that they are doing mid presentation and have them stretch. Another
tactic I would use is to get them involve in my presentation is simply asking
them all questions during my presentation. I try my best to ensure that I get the
undivided attention of my audience.
If I can
change anything to my approach it would have to be my Paralanguage and
Metamessages. There are times when I brief that my tone of voice depicts what I
am actually trying to say. There are also times where my articulation and tempo
can throw me off. Mckay, Davis, and Fanning state, “If people have difficulty
understanding you because you speak too rapidly, mumble, or otherwise distort
your words.” (p.74) that is something I would like to change. We all have
experienced those tongue twisting words that are inevitable when we speak. There
are times I go into a presentation over confident and start talking then a few
minutes later I am mumbling words because I’m just trying to breeze through my
presentation. It’s a habit that needs to be changed. That feeling when you
mumble in front of a crowd can be a letdown to oneself, but I have learned to
adapt and continue like nothing happened. It simply comes down to me rehearsing
before I go into a presentation, being more prepared, and ensuring if I am
trying to pronounce certain words I can calmly say it with no mistakes.
References:
Kaps, R. W., & Voges, J. K. (2007). Nonverbal
communications: A commentary on body language in the aviation teaching
environment. Journal of Aviation/Aerospace Education & Research, 17(1)
Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.libproxy.db.erau.edu/docview/1689380126?accountid=27203
Mayfield, J., & Mayfield, M. (2007). The effects of
leader communication on a worker's intent to stay: An investigation using
structural equation modeling. Human Performance, 20(2), 85-102.
doi:10.1080/08959280701332018
McKay, M., Davis, M., & Fanning, P. (2009). Messages: the
Communication Skills Book (3rd edition). Oakland, CA: New Harbinger
Publications. (ISBN: 978-1-57224-592-1
No comments:
Post a Comment