Sunday, 10 April 2016

A521.3.4.RB - Personal Reflection



 A521.3.4.RB_Matthew-Napu Manglona_Personal Reflection

When it comes to sharing stories about my personal life and situations from both my childhood and early adulthood that changed my life, it is quite difficult to think of events that have impacted me because there are so much that has happened to me in the last 20 years. I guess you can say as Mckay, Davis, and Fanning (2009) had stated about self-disclosure, in regards to “Increased Self-knowledge” that “The process of making someone else understand your demands that you clarify, define, elaborate, and draw conclusions.” (p. 25) is a statement that people can use to improve themselves when they experience a particular event.


During the summer 1998 I was 10 years old I had just received an invitation to try out for the Guam’s Under 10 National Baseball team. I was excited to even be invited and could not wait to get to practice and give it my all for it was a 3 day event. When I arrived to the field I was competing with the island’s best Little League players with a total of 38 players showing up with only 15 able to be on the roster. The day was not going as I expected, I guess you can say I was nervous being around all the other good players. I was missing fly balls, not hitting the ball efficiently, and I wasn’t fielding ground balls either. I wanted to quit. I remember telling my dad at the end of the day I don’t want to go back. My dad was not having any of it, as my dad was a hard man who believed that quitting is not the answer to life’s problems.

He sat me down and told me his story of my grandfather who disciplined him whenever the thought of quitting came in his head. I remember my dad telling me, “Manglonas don’t quit son, you are something and better than majority of the players out there, you just have to believe in yourself as I believe in you.” That’s when he kept poking my chest (heart) and notifying me that’s the place where the belief needed to come from. At 10 years old I understood what he meant. So I went back out there and proved to myself most of all and played the best that I could. It was that turning point when my dad spoke with me where the pressure was off and I performed good enough to make the team. I will always remember my dad telling me that little speech as it carried me to be the person I am today. Foster (1999) discusses that, “One powerful reason for parents telling stories to children is that the story-telling event strengthens the parent-child relationship. It is part of the learning process and new life experiences can be given meaning and context.” (p. 13)

Another story I recall was when I was in 2013, I was 24 years old, and in Afghanistan. My mentor Maj. Santos got me involved with a 10,000 Kettle Bell swing challenge, in which you take a Kettle Bell and swing it 500 times a day for a whole month in one training session. I did not want to participate in the first place but I ended up doing it anyway. It was toward the middle part of the challenge and about 2,000-3,000 kettle bell swings in and I told him “Sir, why are we doing this? What are we getting out of this? This is crazy sir!” He straight up told me “Get out of my gym, Napu! I don’t want to hear your whining.”

 I literally dropped a tear when he said that and I walked out. I was surprised at what he said and was not expecting him to say it. I was embarrassed and ashamed of myself. Later that night he came to my bunk and spoke with me. He asked, “Do you know why I snapped at you? I said what I said because you gave up on yourself before you even tried, when you give up on yourself, you give up on your soldiers, who are those same men you lead in battle. Think about the brothers who we lost who would love to be in your position, which is to simply be alive.” He then shared a story with me about him being in my shoes and saw himself in me. That he too wanted to give up on the simple things and realized there were bigger issues outside of us.  It was that moment where no matter what challenge is put in front of me whether it is physical or mental I would never give up, complain, or whine about it. 

For I know there are people out there who I have to set an example for and people who would want to be alive for the blessings that I have. O’Leary states that, “Stories help individuals make sense of the world and help leaders provide context. Stories enable a person to see issues in a new light and help inspire people to action” (p.11)


References:
Forster, N., Cebis, M., Majteles, S., Mathur, A., Morgan, R., Preuss, J., . . . Wilkinson, D. (1999). The role
of story-telling in organizational leadership. Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 20(1), 11-
17. Retrieved from
http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.libproxy.db.erau.edu/docview/226914173?accountid=27203

McKay, M., Davis, M., & Fanning, P. (2009). Messages: The Communication Skills Book (3rd edition).
Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications. (ISBN:  978-1-57224-592-1)

O'Leary, J. J. (2012). Telling the story: Teaching leaders the art of storytelling and its impact on
individuals and the organization (Order No. 1518860). Available from ProQuest Dissertations & Theses
Global. (1073424999). Retrieved from
http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.libproxy.db.erau.edu/docview/1073424999?accountid=27203

No comments:

Post a Comment